Saturday, January 27, 2007

WD50 - An interesting taste of Science cuisine.

A while back a friend of mine and I went to a restaurant where I found beautifully designed dishes, creative use and mix of ingredients and still deliciously prepared.

Chef Wylie takes me through a fascinating tasting menu that is well paired with glasses of wine.

First I had the coconut carrot sunny side up

The egg white is made out of very light coconut jelly-like. The egg yolk is made from carrot juice. What is most interesting is that the carrot juice is wrapped in a very thin film of jelly, making it jiggle like a real sunny side up!

The sea salt sprinkled over the "egg", the soft texture of the coconut and the motion of the carrot jelly makes it freakingly similar to a real egg. Clever!

As for the taste, both carrot and coconut flavors were mild. Presentation definitely impressed me a lot more on this dish.


Then I had Foie gras with a touch of candied olives, green peas powder and beet juice

The best way to enjoy this dish is to cut the Foie gras perpendicular to it. This way, you can see the beet juice flowing out of it. It was beautiful!

The green peas powder had an interesting grainy texture and a salty flavor. I didn't know what it was until I asked. The salty mix enhanced the taste of the Foie gras

Both presentation and taste were great, but a bit too rich. I had 2 glasses of wine for this dish.

My friend had a different version of the Foie gras. Since he's been to WD50 a couple of times, Wylie made something different to taste.

The hot version of Foie gras combined with cold watermelon

I enjoyed this dish more. The Foie gras was not as heavy. the bite was airy like kidney or duck blood, but the texture was soft and moist. The cold watermelon with the hot piece was a playful sensation on the tongue.

Excellent dish!



Skipping through some dishes... Then there was the clarified Miso


The clarified Miso was good but nothing i have not seen or tasted before. But the soy paste in the tube made this dish fun.

After squeezing the paste into the soup, the soy turned into airy strings of noodles.

It was exciting!


Skipping through other dishes, then we got to the dessert.
Pine, Apple and Pineapple

A delicate ice cream that taste like apple at first and as you taste through your palate it begins tasting like pineapple?

No, I'm not talking about a two flavor scoop or a swirl of ice cream where the flavors are mixed.
I'm talking about one single bite, and one flavor flourishing after the other vanishes.

How? what? huh?

The pineapple sauce to the side was a nice touch but oh MY...
Delicious!

My overall experience was delightful. I enjoyed every dish, and although some ingredients are of no exciting surprise because I am Asian and I know where is coming from or how it is made, i thought it was brilliant the way he put it all together.

Definitely two thumbs up!

To end this dinner with a BANG, Wylie gave us a tour in his kitchen.
What an awesome meal, place and chef!
Check it out http://www.wd-50.com/

No comments: